Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Overwhelmed!!

What on earth is a girl to do!? Next week, I have free tickets to see The Huntington's She Loves Me. And Indiana freaking Jones opens Thursday. And the Penny Arcade video game is released. Considering how slow this week has been (and how much laundry and cleaning I still have to do to recover from the last 8 months or so), the impending rush is nothing if not overwhelming.


She Loves Me

It's with sick fascination that we attend professional productions of shows that we've been a part of. I poured many months of sweat and blood into directing She Loves Me. And it was a very good production. Sure, it wasn't perfect. I didn't feel like every moment was exactly as I envisioned it. But there was some incredible talent on the stage and some really great theatre happened. So... why am I going to see the pros do it? Obviously, they have the money, talent, and resources to surpass our little show. I'm not even sure what to expect, since what I'll be seeing is a "better" production that is being performed according to someone else's vision. Basically, I'll be wishing I had directed the Huntington version.


Indiana Jones

When I was in 9th grade, I decided I wanted to be an archaeologist. I don't think this was because of Indiana Jones. I think I just liked history. And puzzles. And the romanticism of ancient civilizations. I starting buying lots of books about the Mayans, the Aztecs, and the Incans. And when I applied to colleges, the first thing I did to narrow my search was look only at schools that offered programs in archaeology. Well, one thing led to another and I was at Dartmouth, where the archaeology program was part of the Classics department. And so I found myself learning Latin and Greek and sitting on beaches in the Mediterranean.

Well, since then, I've come to realize that the life of an archaeologist isn't for me. I'm a girl who wants a stable life with a house and a yard and kids and a hammock. I love to travel, but only for short amounts of time and with a home to come back to. But I still love Indiana Jones. I've seen the movies dozens of times and would love to talk to you about why he's the perfect hero. And I'm more than a little in love with Harrison Ford. But not Harrison Ford in any other part. Just Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. And while other people don't want to see him in his "dusk," I'll be happy to see one more adventure with Indy, who always manages to find incredible journeys and always makes it look so hard.


On the Rain-Slick Precipice

I've talked more than once about the sad demise of the pure adventure game. Exploring a world, discovering new characters and new places... If it weren't for the Infocom text adventures, I never would have become a gamer. So, I'm damn excited about the first installment of the Penny Arcade action-adventure title set in a dystopian 1920s New Arcadia. And with the excellent twisted humor of Tycho and Gabe, I'm not sure how this game can disappoint me. I think a lot of "modern" gamers will be disgruntled with the lack of action, but I can't wait to engross myself in the universe of this game.


3 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger ABeos said...

aw, don't psyche yourself out of SLM. it'll just be different. i saw Arcadia at the Publick before we did it with TLP and both were beautiful, but for their own reason. your hannah had a warmth that the Publick's didn't; susan's hannah had a regalness that TLP's didn't. neither better nor worse, just different.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Todd Williams said...

I hope you have a great time at She Loves Me. Please let me know if you have any questions about the production.

Todd Williams, the Huntington

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

I know... different isn't better. It's just... different. And thank you, Todd. I'm looking forward to it!

p.s. Yay! I exhibited warmth. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home